- CTPL Projects
Monitor: Canada-EU Trade Negotiations
Almost ten years after initial discussions, Canada and the European Union launched negotiations towards a comprehensive trade agreement in May, 2009. The elimination of barriers to trade in services and investment and duty-free access to industrial products of each other’s markets is expected to boost trade flows between Canada and the European Union. Canadian and EU officials have proposed a broad and ambitious negotiating agenda, which includes: trade in goods and services; investment; government procurement; regulatory cooperation; intellectual property; temporary entry of business persons; competition policy and other related matters; labour; and environment. The Canada-EU talks are particulary unique due to the presence of the Canadian provinces at the table, which is unprecedented for Canada in any previous international trade negotiations.
“To reinforce the ability of EU and Canadian companies to leverage their core competencies, the environment within which they operate must be as productive as possible. The enhanced productivity and competitiveness that directly flows from trade and investment liberalization would, therefore, allow EU and Canadian firms to better compete in the global marketplace.”
Joint Report on the EU-Canada Scoping Exercise (2009)
- Boost bilateral trade by an estimated CA$27 billion per year over the first seven years.
- Increase Canada’s annual GDP by CA$12 billion by 2014.
- Generate 20% growth in bilateral trade by 2014.
- Deliver commercial benefits across many goods sectors (aerospace, chemicals, plastics, wood products, aluminum, fish and seafood, light vehicle and automotive parts, and agricultural products), as well as services sectors (transportation, engineering, and computer services).
- Enhance Canada-EU relations in the areas of investment, labour mobility, regulatory cooperation, environment, and science and technology.
- The EU is Canada’s second largest trading partner for goods and services. In 2008, Canadian goods and services exports to the EU totaled $52.2 billion, an increase of 3.9% from 2007. Imports from the EU amounted to CAD $62.4 billion.
- In 2007, Canadian goods exports to the EU increased 3.5%, and two-way trade in goods reached CAD $90.1 billion.
- The EU is Canada’s second largest source of foreign direct investment (FDI), with over 25% of FDI stock in Canada at the end of 2007 and CAD $133.1 billion in FDI at the end of 2008.
- In 2007, Canada was the EU’s fourth-largest source of FDI and in 2008, the EU was the destination of CAD $136.6 billion in Canadian direct investment.
- First Round of Canada-EU CETA Negotiations (October 19-23, 2009, in Ottawa, Canada)
- Second Round of Canada-EU CETA Negotiations (January 18-22, 2010, in Brussels, Belgium)
Read more here.
- Third Round of Canada-EU CETA Negotiations (April 19-22, 2010, in Ottawa, Canada)
- Fourth Round of Canada-EU CETA Negotiations (July 12-16, 2010, in Brussels, Belgium)
- Fifth Round of Canada-EU CETA Negotiations (October 18-22, 2010, in Ottawa, Canada)
- Sixth Round of Canada-EU CETA Negotiations (January 17-21, 2011 in Brussels, Belgium)
- Seventh Round of Canada-EU CETA Negotiations (scheduled for April 11-15, 2011 in Ottawa, Canada)
The Telegram (Newfoundland) - 18 March 2011
Province Wants Greater Role in EU-Canada Trade Negotiations: Sullivan
European Trade Commission - 17 March 2011
EU Commission and Canada reach provisional solution in beef dispute
The Wire Report - 2 February 2011
Canada not yet in substantive telecom discussion with EU: Verheul
The Parliament.com - 24 January 2011
Top Canadian official says FTA deal with the EU is imminent
Vancouver Sun - 14 January 2011
Ont., Que. concerns holding up EU trade talks, roundtable says
The Star Pheonix (Saskatoon) - 12 January 2011
EU Trade Good News for Farms: ag minister
Globe and Mail - 30 December 2010
At the Gates of Europe: Canada's top negotiator on EU free-trade
Cape Breton Post - 5 May 2010
Prime Minister Harper arrives in Europe for four-day, five nation visit
CTV NEWS - 5 May 2010
PM to talk trade while on four day European tour
CBC NEWS - 4 May 2010
Harper Heads to Europe
The Globe and Mail - 30 April 2010
Free trade high on the agenda at the Canada-EU summit next week.
The Canadian Press - 26 April 2010
Big Stakes in Canada-Europe trade talks, but little attention
Edmonton Journal - 19 April 2010
Stakes are high for Alberta in Canada EU Trade Talks
Embassy Magazine - 14 April 2010
EU copyright demands chill trade experts
Pr Newswire - April 19, 2010
Secret Details Released About Canada-European Union Free Trade Talks
Globe and Mail - 31 March 2010
Ontario foot-dragging imperils Canada-EU Trade pact, officials say
Techdirct - 30 March 2010
EU Keeps Pushing Canada To Make Massive Changes To IP Law, With No Concern For User Rights
Embassy Magazine - 24 February 2010
EU takes am at Canada Post, Ontario Green Energy Act
Embassy Magazine - 10 February 2010
Embassy Magazine - 27 January 2010
Embassy Magazine - 21 January 2010
Canada-EU Trade Deal Could Require National Securities Regulator
Vancourver Sun - 13 January 2010
Embassy Magazine - 7 October 2009
Embassy Magazine - 25 August 2009
Canada NewsWire - 7 May 2009
Canadian Press - 3 May 2009
National Post - 19 September 2008
- European Commission: Trade website
- Joint Report on the Canada-EU Scoping Exercise (March 5, 2009) (PDF)
- Canada-EU Joint Study: "Assessing the costs and benefits of a closer EU-Canada economic partnership" (PDF)
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada: Canada-European Union -- Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) Negotiations
- bilateral.org – Negotiations – Canada-EU
- Official website of the Mission of Canada to the European Union
CTPL appreciates the financial contribution from the European Commission to the CTPL Canada-EU CETA research program.